Sweet and Sour Chicken
This Sweet and Sour Chicken is kid tested and approved. Even picky eaters seem to love this easy and delicious dish. The chicken is lightly coated with corn starch which makes it nice and crispy, and also a gluten free option. Pour the sweet and tangy sauce over the chicken and serve over hot cooked rice and you'll feel like you're eating at your favorite Chinese restaurant.
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup and 2 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
3 beaten eggs
1 15 oz can of pineapple chunks
1 green bell pepper
1 small onion
1 clove garlic
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar (you can use apple cider vinegar)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup honey or white sugar
2 tbsp soy sauce
squirt of siracha (optional)
1. Cut chicken into bite size pieces. Mix together corn starch, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a plastic zip lock bag. Drop chicken into corn starch mixture, seal bag and shake until chicken is completely coated.
2. Heat oil, two inches deep, in a large skillet and once the oil is hot enough drop the chicken pieces one at a time into the hot oil and fry until lightly browned. You will have to fry the chicken in batches removing the chicken and placing on a sheet tray until all the chicken is fried. After all the chicken if finished frying place in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
3. Put 1 tbsp of hot oil in another large skillet and then add the chopped peppers and onions and cook until they begin to soften. Then add garlic and the pineapple, reserving the juice for the sauce.
4. In a large bowl combine 1 cup of pineapple juice from the can, vinegar, ketchup, honey, soy sauce, siracha, and corn starch and whisk together until everything is well combined and the corn starch is dissolved. Pour sauce over the vegetables and pineapple and cook until the sauce begins to thicken, this will take a few minutes.
5. Add the cooked chicken to a large bowl and pour the thickened sauce over the chicken and mix together. If you prefer not to dirty another dish, then you can add the cooked chicken directly into the skillet with the sauce and mix together. Serve over hot cooked rice. Tip: To include more vegetables to this dish I like to add chopped asparagus or chopped broccoli to the rice during the last 5 minutes of cooking time.