Spaetzle is a special kind of egg noodle that is often enjoyed as a side dish with gravies or sauces. Toss them with a little bit of melted butter and you have an easy but delicious side dish the whole family will enjoy. This easy homemade spaetzle recipe is the only one you will ever need and is a great alternative to rice, noodles, or potatoes. This delicious noodle is so easy you will want to make it again and again.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
dash of nutmeg (optional)
1. In a bowl, whisk together the flour, eggs, milk, salt, and nutmeg. Stir until the batter is well combined. The batter should be thin enough to push through a colander but not too thin that it appears runny. If your batter is too thick add 1 to 2 tbsp of additional milk.
2. Spray a colander with non-stick spray and place over a pot of salted boiling water.
3. Pour batter into the colander and begin pushing it through the colander with a rubber spatula going in a back and forth motion. Move quickly so that the batter doesn't cook in the colander.
4. Once all the batter is pushed through the colander, gently stir the noodles in the water to make sure they are separated and not stuck together. Cook them for just a couple minutes, it doesn't take long.
5. Use a strainer and immediately scoop out spaetzle and put in a hot skillet with some butter. Allow the spaetzle to fry for a couple minutes to get a nice crust. Sprinkle salt and pepper and some dried parsley if desired. Remove from skillet and serve as a delicious side dish.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel