Skillet Tamale Pie
Tamale Pie is a delicious, sweet and savory, hearty and comforting meal that is loaded with meat, beans, cheese, and veggies with a cornbread on top. This Tamale Pie has all the same things that are in tacos or tamales but in pie form. And it can be made in one skillet, or be transferred to a baking dish. It is sure to become a family favorite!
For the filling:
1 to 1 1/2 pound of lean ground beef, chicken, or turkey
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
3 garlic cloves
1 15 oz can black beans
1 15 oz can corn (or 1 cup of frozen)
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
2 heaping tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
For the corn bread topping:
1/4 cup butter melted
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1. Place ground beef, onion, pepper, and garlic in a large skillet and cook over medium-high heat until meat is browned and onions are translucent.
2. Mix in the the rest of the ingredients. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes while you make the cornbread batter.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. For the cornbread batter, mix together the dry ingredients, flour, corn meal, salt, baking soda, and then add the wet ingredients, egg, buttermilk and melted butter.
5. Turn off the heat from the meat mixture and stir in 1 cup of cheese. Pack the mixture down into the skillet or transfer to a baking dish. Spread the cornbread batter evenly over the top. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.
6. Let the pie rest for 5 to 10 minutes before slicing and serving. Top with sour cream and sliced green onion.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel