German Magenbrot (Gingerbread)
3 1/2 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cardamon
2 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup powdered sugar
2 to 3 Tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Put all the dough ingredients into a large bowl and mix until you have a smooth dough.
3. Divide the dough into six equal pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 1 inch diameter rope. 4. Place 3 ropes on each baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
5. For the glaze mix powdered sugar and lemon juice.
6. Brush the glaze on the ropes immediately after taking them out of the oven.
7. Cut the cookie ropes diagonally into 2 inch pieces and allow them to cool completely on the baking sheets.
8. Store in airtight container.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel.