These Energy Bars are perfect for a quick snack to give a boost of energy and I love them when I am out for a beautiful hike. I individually wrap them and keep them in my freezer and whenever I need one I just put them in my bag and go. They would also be great for a quick on the go breakfast as you head out the door with a cup of coffee.
2 cups of old fashioned oats
1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup of unsalted almonds (the roasted and salted works fine also)
1 cup of pitted dates
1/4 cup of honey, agave nectar, or natural maple syrup
1/2 cup of nut butter (almond or peanut butter)
2 tbsp of flax meal
1 tbsp of chia seeds
1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips
1. Blend oats and coconut in a food processor until well incorporated, and then pour into a large mixing bowl.
2. Place almonds in food processor and pulse a few times until you get small pieces, then add to the oat mixture.
3. Place dates, that have been soaking in water for about 10 minutes, into the food processor and blend until well pureed.
4. Add honey and almond butter and blend until everything is well combined and you have a thick paste like consistency.
5. Add the flax meal, chia seeds, and chocolate chips to the oat mixture and then fold in the date mixture and mix until everything is good and incorporated. This may take a few minutes and will be sticky and messy.
6. Pour mixture into a 8 x 8 square pan lined with parchment paper, and press down firmly
7. Place into the freezer for about 30 minutes just enough time for it to see. This will make it easier to cut into bars.
8. Individually wrap each bar with plastic wrap and place into a large ziplock bag and place in your refrigerator or freezer.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel