This Zucchini Lasagna is layers of thinly sliced zucchini with three types of cheese and a hearty meat sauce, all baked to golden brown perfection. A delicious low carb option that's perfect for feeding a crowd. This Zucchini Lasagna has all the flavors of the classic dish, but with less carbs, and an extra serving of veggies. It's super easy to make and is a great way to use up zucchini from the garden.
2 large zucchini half of yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
2 heaping tbsp of tomato paste
1 pound of Italian sausage (you can use ground beef or turkey also)
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp of chopped fresh basil
1 tsp salt for cheese filling
16 oz container of ricotta cheese
1/2 to 1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 cups shredded mozzarella
1. Trim both ends off the zucchini. Use a mandoline or sharp knife to cut the zucchini into thin slices. Lay zucchini out on a sheet tray and sprinkle salt over the zucchini and bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes. After baking pat zucchini with paper towel to absorb any excess liquid.
2. To prepare the sauce. Cook the sausage with onion and garlic until completely done. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, and basil. Allow the sauce to cook until thick and bubbly.
3. To prepare the filling. Mix together ricotta cheese, parmesan cheese, egg, and parsley. Set aside.
4. To assemble the lasagna. Start with some sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. I used a 8 x 10 inch, but you can use smaller or bigger depending on the size of lasagna you would like. Next place zucchini overlapping each slice slightly. Then top with cheese filling and sprinkle with mozzarella. Add some sauce and repeat the process. The last layer will be zucchini topped with sauce then mozzarella.
5. Bake uncovered in a 350 degree oven for around 40 until the cheese is golden brown.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel