Bread Pudding is one of my most requested and popular desserts and many people have asked for the recipe so here is my best attempt of giving a recipe since I have never really followed one. I love Bread Pudding because of how simple it is to make and because of the many ways it can be made. It is a delicious dessert but can also be a delicious breakfast, and sometimes you see it called French Toast Casserole which is basically the same thing depending on how many eggs and the amount of sugar you use in the custard mix. The more eggs and less sugar is more like a French Toast and the less eggs and more sugar the more like a dessert. This Bread Pudding with a Vanilla Cream Sauce would make a perfect breakfast for Easter Morning.
Enough bread cut into pieces to fill a 9 x 13 baking pan, roughly 8 to 10 cups. Any type of bread will work (sandwich bread, rolls, hot dog buns, hamburger buns, croissants, and even donuts)
3 cups of half and half (can use milk, heavy cream, or a combination of both)
1 cup of milk
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if making more of a dessert)
Other options to add to the custard mix 1 tsp of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree 1/4 cup of applesauce 1/4 cup of mashed bananas A variety of fruit can also be scattered in with the bread such as blueberries, sliced apples, blackberries, raspberries, sliced peaches, and cherries chocolate chips can be sprinkled over bread nuts can be sprinkled over bread
Instructions for Bread Pudding
1. Cut bread of your choice into pieces and fill a greased 9 x 13 baking dish.
2. Mix eggs, sugar, half and half, milk, vanilla extract together until well combined.
3. Pour over the bread and press the bread down into the custard mix to make sure all bread is well saturated.
4. Allow to sit for 15 minutes, or cover with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator until ready to bake. I sometimes make mine the night before I bake it.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven for around 1 hour and 15 minutes until the center is completely set.
6. Dust with powdered sugar.
Vanilla Cream Sauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp of brown sugar
1 tbsp of flour
1 large egg
2 tbsp of butter
1/2 cup of milk
3/4 cup of heavy cream
pinch of salt
1 tbsp of vanilla extract
1. Combine sugars, flour, milk, heavy cream, salt, butter, and egg until well mixed.
2. Cook on medium heat stirring constantly until mixture begins to thicken and almost comes to a boil.
3. As soon as mixture begins to boil remove from heat and add vanilla.
4. Pour into a serving dish.
For a video tutorial visit my YouTube channel